Bed Bug Heater Rental or Does it Make More Sense to Buy?
If you have just discovered bed bugs in your personal space or in that of your guests, tenants or residents your head is probably spinning.
Take a deep breath. Try not to panic. You have a number of good options available to you, all of which will effectively solve the problem of killing all life stages of bed bugs.
Here are the three options to choose from with the pros and cons for each.
If you are comparing what the cost will be between killing bed bugs with heat yourself using DIY bed bug heaters for rent versus the cost of bed bug heat treatment by hiring an exterminator to do it for you versus buying your own bedbug heaters here are some things to consider.
HOW MUCH IS AN EXTERMINATOR FOR BED BUGS?
Reputable bed bug heat treatment exterminators will charge $2,000-$5,000 depending on the size of your home or apartment.
PROS OF USING A BED BUG HEAT TREATMENT EXTERMINATOR:
- Convenient – they come to you. There is minimal preparation time compared to toxic chemical spray treatments
- One day turnaround versus chemical insecticide applications which require multiple visits over 2-4 weeks
- Non-toxic if no insecticides are used
CONS OF USING A BED BUG HEAT TREATMENT EXTERMINATOR:
- Most expensive option of the three
- Hidden fees and upcharges for limited parking and having to haul equipment up to higher than ground floors in apartment situations.
- Bed Bug Re-infestation = Pay again and again and again
- Limited or No guarantees. Must prove it was not a re-infestation but rather the same bed bugs from the first go around. Good luck with that.
- You must vacate the premises for at least one full day.
- Must treat whole home at once. Majority of bed bug exterminators will not allow for 1 or 2 room bed bug heat treatments even though the majority of bed bug infestations are localized to 1 or 2 rooms. Their fixed investment costs in their electric bed bug heat treatment equipment means jobs need to be of a certain size to be profitable.
HOW MUCH ARE BED BUG HEATER RENTAL RATES?
The average daily rental rate, in the US, for an electric bedbug heater that will kill bed bugs in one large (up to 300 square foot) bedroom is around $350.
PROS OF BED BUG HEATER RENTAL:
- You are in control – if you have a light to moderate infestation limited to 1 or 2 rooms
- Allows for DIY bed bug treatment
- Less cash outlay IF no re-infestation occurs.
CONS OF BED BUG HEATER RENTAL:
- Learning curve for success is longer than you think or most bed bug heater rental companies will admit to. Effectively killing all bed bugs in one day are rare given the customers are first time users of the equipment
- Plastic, budget heaters with built-in fans are not as effective as using a separate bed bug treatment heater and separate bed bug treatment fan
- Complicated and confusing power requirements (up to 6 cords plugged into separate circuits) can be challenging and unrealistic
- Watch out for bed bug heater rental companies that claim you can treat 2-3 bedrooms per day. It might be technically possible if you have 2 bed bug heaters and you are counting a day as 24 hours but what you won’t hear is that these types of heaters very often require plugging into 6-8 power outlets each of which needs to be connected to its own 15 or 20 amp circuit. This is not a minor detail that can be overlooked. Assuming that all the power outlets in each bedroom are connected to and share the same 15 amp circuit breaker I find it hard to believe the average person will ever find 6 separate outlets to plug one bed bug heater into. T
This is the reason PestPro Thermal has standardized its electric bed bug heaters to use high voltage 220/240v power from electric stove or dryer receptacles. Plugging into one stove or one dryer outlet will allow you to heat treat a bedroom safely and effectively without stressing out your home's electrical system.
Tapping into enough power to create enough heat to kill bed bugs safely is an absolute must. Trying to cobble together 6-8 110/120v power cords to make this work is at best a complicated and confusing scenario for most folks in dire need of relief and at worst a frustrating waste of time and money.
WHAT DOES IT COST TO BUY YOUR OWN BED BUG TREATMENT HEATERS?
Electric bed bug treatment heaters today come in all shapes, sizes, heat output ratings and prices.
There are whole room heaters, heaters that will heat up a closet and heaters that will heat up a zipper enclosed tent for small personal belongings like a luggage or small pieces of furniture.
Whole room plastic budget bed bug heaters with built-in fans can be had for $1,500 or less but often require additional cords or equipment to achieve a complete turnkey package that you can be used effectively.
A top-of-the-line, all-steel heater to kill bed bugs that is manufactured by hand in the USA and built for repeated commercial usage and comes with separate air movers versus built-in fans runs around $4,000.00 USD.
It's like comparing a Kenmore consumer grade washing machine to the Speed Queens used in 24 hour laundromats. The upfront costs will always be more if you require dependability, effectiveness, Tier 1 customer support and constant product improvement.
PestPro Thermal bed bug treatment heaters are rated at 10,000 Watts. You should be able to “cook” a large 18 x 18 foot bed room including furniture, electronics and clothing in about 4-5 hours. It can be less but there is no exact number that can be provided until all factors are considered and you have done it a few times in your environment. It all depends on how much stuff is in that room, what the outside temperature is, starting room temperature (was room preheated using boiler/furnace before bed bug heat treatment begun?), construction materials (wood frame, brick, cinder block, etc.), good, bad or ugly pre-treatment preparation (all vents, cracks, windows, sealed and taped for hermetically tight seal).
The reason we recommend that timeframe is because it is not enough to just get the air temperature up to the thermal death point of bed bugs. You must get the air temperature higher than that to achieve internal, core temperatures of furniture of at least 120° F. It is no different than roasting a chicken in the oven. To get the internal temperature of a chicken up to 180° F you set the oven temperature at 350° F and cook it until that digital thermometer reaches the thermal death point that kills harmful bacteria so you can eat that chicken safely without getting ill.
PROS OF OWNING YOUR OWN BED BUG HEAT TREATMENT PACKAGE:
- Gives you complete control to do DIY bed bug treatment on your timeline and your terms
- All-Steel bed bug heater cabinet allows up to 158 F setting to kill pathogens, molds, mildews and most pests including bed bugs, fleas, cockroaches, spiders, chiggers, silverfish and others. Plastic heaters are not capable of this higher temperature due to warping issues.
- Use heater and fan to dry out or ‘sanitize’ odor causing moisture in humid climates
- Flood remediation to dry out structures, furniture and personal items
- No time limit for learning how to perform a heat treatment properly. Use your equipment when it is convenient for you on your timeline not someone else's
- Same price as hiring an exterminator one time
- Spread payments out over 6 months NO INTEREST with PayPal Credit
- Universal power options allow plugging in to stove or dryer outlets
- Quick Return on Investment. Rent your bed bug treatment heaters to other landlords, hotel owners or property managers for $300-400 per day.
- Be a Hero! Loan your bed bug heater package to friends, family, non-profits
- Heat treat one room at a time or create a ‘Hot Box’ in a closet or using Zip Wall spring loaded, telescoping poles and plastic sheeting and blue painters tape (see photographs) to kill bed bugs on personal items, like luggage and wall hangings that cannot be placed in a dryer
- Start your own bed bug heat treatment business with 1 heater and 1 fan. Grow incrementally by adding additional heaters and fans as finances allow
- Heater can be used as a backup or emergency heat source
- High Volume (CFM) Fan can be used to dry carpets, exhaust smoke from home, campfire or BBQ, vent hot air from attics for use as a portable whole house fan!
- Six Heater/ Fan Bed Bug Beast™ allows you to earn $3000 per day!
- ‘The Beast’ is a source of emergency power, emergency heat and can even plow snow!
- Bed Bug Beast™ monthly finance payment is about the same as just one average job!
CONS OF OWNING BED BUG HEAT TREATMENT PACKAGE:
- Higher initial cash outlay than renting one time but with PayPal Credit you can spread the payments over 6 months without incurring any interest. This means you will make 6 equal payment of $666.50 for a Best In Class PestPro Thermal 10,000 watt Universal Bed Bug Heat Package
There are many ways to get rid of bed bugs using electric heat but these three are your best options if you are looking for the most effective, non-toxic options available today.
We look forward to providing you with meaningful answers to your intelligent questions. We can be reached at 970-221-1036.